Saturday, 10 May 2008

Mexicans

My new lodgings are an improvement over my last, if only for the increased space. Unfortunately, that space is filled with Mexicans.


Ethnic groups are defined, in my mind, by how high I have to turn up my headphones to drown them out. For example:
American students ... 5
The homeless ............. 3
British (northern) ...... 6
British (southern) ...... 3
Jewish retirees ............ 7
Bad comedians ......... 5
Most small monkeys 5
Europeans .................... 2
Australians (men) ..... 3
Australians (women) 8
American Idol ............ 4
FOX News ..................... 7

Mexicans cannot be drowned out. They vibrate at a harmonic pitch immune to negation of any kind. This may be because they sit in large circles, operate three or more noise-making devices at once, or burst into a scattered cacophony at unexpected times. This makes them exceedingly difficult to drown out. I have only encountered this level of audio pollution once before: French Canadians.
There are certainly similarities between the two groups. Both, for instance, grow beards that look accidental; both are confused with people from real countries; both order beer from the bottom of the menu; both speak dialects that make other native speakers giggle and frown simultaneously; and both travel in single file to hide their numbers.

The end result of all this is that I have been through my entire music collection, as well as samples of oceans, rainforests, and white noise, and nothing will cancel out the amarinthine outpouring of audial blather. I am at my wits' end, so I'm worn out from travelling, too.
.

No comments: