Saturday, 13 September 2008

Top 10 Art Galleries in the World, again

Musee du Louvre, Paris -- Sept'08
Vatican Museums, Vatican City
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
J. Paul Getty Center, Los Angeles -- Sept'07
Musee d'Orsay, Paris -- Sept'08
Uffizi Gallery, Florence
Art Institute of Chicago
Tate Modern, London -- Sept'08
Prado Museum, Madrid
National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. -- Apr'08

That's five now. I passed through Chicago three times in April, but never had more than a few hours to string together to visit the Institute.
The Tate was big. I wasn't hugely impressed by the art until I rounded a corner and almost bumped into Boccioni's Unique Forms of Continuity in Space because I was looking at the huge Lichtenstein, Whaam!
The Musee d'Orsay was under construction, so most of the Monets it is famous for were in storage. Manet's Olympia was strangely impressive, but I was distracted by the bizarre layout of the building.
The Louvre seemed like an excuse to display all the French painters no-one's ever heard of, in room after enormous room. The Georgian statuary were a highlight for me and my favourite period, 1780-1820, was very well represented. I searched in vain for a David that I liked, and took photos of the hordes taking photos of Mona Lisa.

My next museum here will probably be in New York. Chicago maybe in early 2009, and I don't know when I'll go to Italy or Spain. This list may take a few more years to complete.

No comments: